Getting StartedSubmitting Your Points and DocumentationApplication ReviewAppeal of Denial of RecertificationNotice of Recertification Audit Process
RIMS-CRMP holders may submit the RIMS-CRMP Application for Recertification at any time during their two-year recertification cycle provided that they have attained the required 50 points. The completed application must be submitted with payment ($150 RIMS Members / $300 Nonmembers) and appropriate documentation.
Early submission will not change your recertification date. Late applications will not be accepted.
If you don't know your expiration date, check the Certificant Directory, digital badge or paper certificate.
Include as much documentation as possible as the Certification Department will conduct random audits of recertification applications. See Notice of Recertification Audit Process.
RIMS-CRMP certification is valid for two years. 50 continuing education points must be earned within the two-year cycle. 35 of the 50 points must be in the professional development category. Points are not retroactive.
How to Earn Points
- Log into the recertification portal.
- Begin entering your points by activity and hours. You may exit and re-enter the portal. Be sure to click "Save" after every entry.
- Upload supporting documentation if you have it.
- When all 50 points have been entered, submit your application.
- Complete the payment section and your application will be reviewed within 15 business days.
Recertification applications will be reviewed within 15 business days. Once approved, you will receive a new paper certificate with your updated expiration date and an updated RIMS-CRMP digital badge.
If your application is denied, you may be granted an extension if there are unusual circumstances or your certification will be revoked. If revoked, the only way to reinstate your RIMS-CRMP will be to reapply and retake the examination.
Applicants who are denied recertification may request reconsideration of the decision by making an Appeal to the Commission. Requests for an appeal must be made in writing to the Director of Certification via RIMS-CRMP@rims.org no later than 30 business days after the applicant is denied. Within 60 business days of the receipt of the written appeal, the Commission must conclude its deliberations and promptly notify the applicant of the decision. The decision of the Commission on the appeal is final.
The RIMS-CRMP Certification Department randomly audits applications in compliance with ANSI/ISO 17024 accreditation.
If you are selected for an audit, you will need to submit all supporting documents for the activities listed on your recertification application. In general, supporting documentation* should:
- Prove that activities cover an area of risk management technical knowledge.
- Confirm participation in activities such as:
- Certificates or letters of attendance/completion.
- Registration forms, receipts or email confirmations.
- Project documents for on-the-job experience.
- Verify authorship in a scholarly publication for the Research/Publishing category.
- Validate and confirm dates and times of participation in the activities listed on your recertification application.
*Types of supporting documents include documentation that demonstrates you have completed an activity. We encourage you to complete this step as you begin activities. Be sure to keep your certificates of completion and other documentation as this will make participation in the audit process streamlined and simple.
More information and instructions will be provided if your application is selected for audit. The RIMS-CRMP Certification Department will work with you to ensure you successfully complete the audit process.