RIMS-CRMP Exam Information
The RIMS-CRMP exam is open to anyone who meets the eligibility requirements. All RIMS-CRMP candidates must have prior authorization from the RIMS-CRMP Certification Department to take the examination. The two-hour exam consists of 120 questions. Candidates must achieve a score of 71% or higher to pass the exam.
The computer-based exam is proctored by Pearson VUE. Testing centers are located throughout the United States, Canada, and around the globe.
The candidate must present two forms of ID to the examination proctor and meet all other test security requirements at the examination location (a list of acceptable forms of identification can be found in the RIMS-CRMP Certification Handbook). Additional details on taking the examination are provided to candidates in the email they receive from the RIMS-CRMP Certification Department once their application is approved.
For online proctored exams, candidates must check-in thirty (30) minutes before the examination start time, when the examination check-in window opens. They may test at their home residence or in their office of employment. Candidates must download the
OnVUE software and conduct a systems check to make sure the computer is ready for the test. They will take photos of their government-issued ID and testing environment, as well as a headshot.
Candidates will be monitored by a certified proctor via webcam and microphone throughout the test to ensure the integrity and security of the exam experience. Learn more about the remote exam.
Preparing for the Exam
Candidates should decide what they want to read and study based on their knowledge of the risk management discipline. The domains and related reading material listed below can be used to guide your preparation for the examination.
Additionally, candidates may use the RIMS-CRMP Study Guide to prepare.
2022 Exam Blueprint
|DUTIES AND TASKS||%|
|A. Analyzing the Organizational Model||16%|
|A1. Obtain Internal Organizational Information|
|A2. Obtain External Information About Organization|
|A3. Conduct Internal Analyses on the Organization|
A4. Assess Organizational Resilience
|B. Designing Organizational Risk Strategies||26%|
|B1. Determine Risk Appetite and Tolerance|
|B2. Develop Risk Strategy Approach|
|B3. Define Organizational Risk Competency and Capabilities|
|B4. Design Risk Management Framework|
|B5. Obtain Organizational Support for Risk Strategy|
|B6. Design Implementation Plan|
|B7. Develop Risk Communication Plan|
|C. Implementing Risk Process||32%|
|C1. Identify Scope, Context, and Criteria|
|C2. Identify Risks and Opportunities|
|C3. Analyze Identified Risk|
|C4. Evaluate Risk|
|C5. Collaborate with Stakeholders to Identify Risk Solution Options|
|C6. Monitor Organizational Risk|
|D. Developing Organizational Risk Competency||16%|
|D1. Engage Organization's Risk Network|
|D2. Deliver Risk Training|
|D3. Coach Organization on the Risk Process and Techniques|
|D4. Continuously Improve Risk Management Process|
|D5. Integrate Risk Management into Day-to-Day Operations|
|E. Supporting Decision Making||10%|
|E1. Influence Risk-Based Decision Making|
E2. Advise on Risk and Resilience Decisions
Top 10 References
- Chapman, Robert. Simple Tools and Techniques for Enterprise Risk Management, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, London, 2011.
- Elliott, Michael. Risk Management Principles and Practices, The Institutes, Malvern, PA.
- Fraser, J. and Simkins, B.J., Enterprise Risk Management, 1st ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ.
- Gamble, John; Thompson Jr., Arthur; Peteraf, Margaret. Essentials of Strategic Management: The Quest for Competitive Advantage, 6th ed, 2019.
- Hopkin, Paul. Fundamentals of Risk Management, 2018.
- International Organization for Standardization. Risk Management - Guidelines (ISO Standard No. 31000:2018).
- Moeller, Robert, COSO Enterprise Risk Management, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ.
- RIMS Executive Report, Exploring the Risk Committee Advantage, RIMS, New York, NY, 2015.
- RIMS Executive Report, Transitioning to Enterprise Risk Management, RIMS, New York, NY, 2014.
- Strategic Risk Management Development Council. RIMS Strategic Risk Management Implementation Guide, RIMS, New York, NY.
Authorized Testing Timeframe & Locations
You can select an exam date within your authorized six-month timeframe. The RIMS-CRMP certification exam is offered throughout the year.