Eligibility and Requirements
To earn the CRM designation, candidates need to complete three foundational courses, and pass a standardized exam for each course.
- Introduction to risk management
- Risk management standards and guidelines
- Hazard risk
- Operational, financial, and strategic risk
- Risk management framework and process
- Risk identification, analysis, and treatment
- Financial statement risk analysis
- Capital investment and financial risk
- Monitoring and reporting on risk
- Introduction to risk assessment and treatment
- Root cause analysis; Business continuity management
- Physical property risk
- Intellectual property and reputation risk
- Legal and regulatory risk
- Management liability; Human resource risk
- Environmental risk
- Crime and cyber risk
- Fleet risk
- Introduction to risk financing
- Estimating hazard risk
- Transferring hazard risk through insurance
- Self-insurance plans
- Retrospective rating plans
- Captive insurance
- Contractual risk transfer
- Transferring financial risk
- Transferring hazard risk to the capital markets
- Allocating costs of managing hazard risk
The courses, and the three corresponding exams, are based upon the content from the below listed books, written and published by The Institutes.
- ARM-54 Risk Management Principles and Practices
- ARM-55 Risk Assessment and Treatment
- ARM-56 Risk Financing
Steps for obtaining the CRM designation:
Create an online profile here
Step 2: Enroll in each course at a university or institution that offers the required CRM courses listed below.
Access CRM registration page
, select an exam and pay the $130 (USD) testing and processing fee by credit card.
Candidate enters the access code sent via email from GRMI into the Prometric site
, selects an exam date, time and location.
To avoid delays, candidates may schedule their standardized exam(s) prior to finishing each course. However, please note that the CRM designation will not be awarded until courses & standardized exams are completed and final transcripts submitted.
Step 6: Candidate receives passing score of 70% or higher on all three exams..
Step 7: Mail an official copy of your transcript or grade report to GRMI, 5 Bryant Park, 13th floor, New York, NY 10018.
Please allow up to six weeks for processing of application material.
Maintaining Continued Standing:
Once the CRM designation is granted, CRM holders must maintain their credentialed membership with GRMI by paying a USD $50 annual dues fee.
Although the CRM does not require continuing education credits, all GRMI members will receive an annual USD $100 rebate when they attend a RIMS in-person workshop to further their professional development. Visit www.RIMS.org/Education
for more information.