The RIMS Fellow (RF) Designation is a symbol of professional excellence that affirms your mastery of risk management knowledge and commitment to quality. It represents the standard of education, dedication and ethics that the profession expects. Adding the RF Designation next to your name verifies that you have achieved the knowledge, skills and tools needed to identify and manage operational, financial, external and other risks and to look at risk strategically within the organization.
Benefits of the RF Designation
Formal training gives you a competitive advantage that employers seek.
Demonstrate that you have achieved the knowledge, skills and tools needed to strategically identify and manage risks.
Stand out among others in a competitive marketplace.
Improve your ability to achieve your organization's risk management objectives and your career goals.
Steps for Attaining the RF Designation
Download and complete the application form
Note: You need not have completed all the RF requirements before submitting an application for the RF candidacy.
Submit documentation that confirms completion of any of the courses and other requirements listed below, along with your processing fee of $50.
Send your $50 check (USD) made payable to the Global Risk Management Institute to GRMI, P.O. Box 95000-2520, Philadelphia, PA 19195-2520.
If paying via credit card, submit an application form and documentation to GRMI, 5 Bryant Park, New York, NY 10018.
RF Designation Requirements
1. Risk Management Foundation:
Complete three courses at the university/college level in risk management:
Or, earn one of these designations:
2. Discipline Experience:
At lease five (5) years of experience at the time the designation is awarded.
3. Business Acumen:
: Complete four courses at the university/college level in business acumen:
Note: An applicant holding a business administration degree meets the Business Acumen requirement. Business courses from the CPCU designation may be applied to the Business Acumen requirement.
- Accounting and Finance are required
- Two additional courses in Economics, MIS, Business Law, Insurance, Marketing or Management
4. RIMS Professional Development Workshops:
Complete 12 days of RIMS Fellow workshops, or equivalent online courses
RF Designation Continued Standing
- You automatically become a member of the Global Risk Management Institute, Inc. (GRMI) when you are accepted as a RIMS Fellow Designation holder. To maintain your RF Designation, your membership in GRMI must remain current.
- Obtain RF Credits by attending two days of RIMS Fellow Workshops every two years.
- Complete 20 Professional Development Components (PDCs) every two years. PDCs will be given for professional activity in the risk management discipline, including: participation in chapter meetings and seminars, attendance at conferences, teaching courses, publishing articles and speaking engagements.
- Submit RF Credits and PDC documentation every two years to GRMI@RIMS.org.
- RF Designation holders are expected to adhere to a standard of high ethical conduct.
For more information about the RIMS Fellow Designation, contact GRMI@RIMS.org or call +1-212-655-6212.
The Global Risk Management Institute, Inc. (GRMI)
is an institute that issues the CRM and is an alumni association of
individuals who hold the Canadian Risk Management (CRM) and RIMS Fellow (RF) designations.