Canadian Risk Management
Any Canadian risk professional can pursue their CRM designation. To earn the CRM designation, candidates must complete three foundational courses and pass a standardized exam for each course.
Three Foundational Courses
The Foundations of Risk Management or
Risk Management Principles and Practices
- Introduction to risk management
- Risk management standards and guidelines
- Hazard risk
- Operational, financial, and strategic risk
- Risk management framework and process
- Risk identification, analysis, and treatment
- Big data analytics for managing risk
- Monitoring and reporting on risk
Risk Control or
Risk Assessment and Treatment
- Introduction to risk assessment and treatment
- Root cause analysis
- Business continuity management
- Physical property risk
- Intellectual property and reputation risk
- Legal and regulatory risk
- Management liability and Human resource risk
- Environmental risk
- Crime and cyber risk
- Fleet risk
- Smart products and risk management
- Introduction to risk financing
- Estimating hazard risk
- Transferring hazard risk through insurance
- Self-insurance plans
- Retrospective rating plans
- Captive insurance
- Contractual risk transfer
- Transferring financial risk
- Transferring hazard risk to the capital markets
- Allocating costs of managing hazard risk
The courses, and the three corresponding exams, are based upon the content from the below listed books, written and published by The Institutes.
- CRM-54 Risk Management Principles and Practices (Edition 3)
- CRM-55 Risk Assessment and Treatment (Edition 2)
- CRM-56 Risk Financing (Edition 6)
Steps to Earn the CRM
- Enroll in each foundational course at an approved CRM Course Provider.
- Register for each standardized exam through GRMI.
- Navigate to the CRM Exam Registration page, select an exam and pay the exam fee. If you do not have a RIMS account, you will be prompted to create one.
- GRMI will provide virtual exam instructions via email within 2 weeks of processing the exam registration fee. Follow the instructions to complete the exam.
- Receive a passing score of 70% or higher on all three exams. Notice of pass or fail is provided immediately upon completion of the exam.
- Email an official copy of your transcripts or grade report for all three courses to GRMI@rims.org.
- GRMI will issue an invoice via email for the $100 (USD) CRM designation fee.
- Your CRM digital badge will be issued within 2 weeks of payment of the designation fee.
Please send an email to GRMI@rims.org