New RIMS CourseCast
Casualty Claim Handling Techniques: Agency Law
Thursday, December 10, 2009 | 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM EST
RIMS members $150 | Non-members $275
This 90-minute “mini course” will focus on the concept of agency law and how it is defined. Our experts will review how tort law is applied in agency cases. The liability imposed by bailments and vicarious liability will be analyzed.
For more details and to register today, go to www.RIMS.org/Education.
RIMS Supports Legislation to Form Federal Insurance Office
RIMS announced its strong support of legislation that would form the nation’s first federal office of insurance. The proposed office would be the first centralized authority on insurance matters and would enable the federal government to gain an insurance expertise as well as speak with one voice on international insurance policy. H.R. 2609, an amendment in the nature of a substitute, largely reflects the efforts of the Administration and Insurance Subcommittee Chairman Paul Kanjorski, D-Pa, but also enjoys broad-based bipartisan support. RIMS also views the legislation as a precursor to the Society’s long-held support of an optional federal charter for commercial property and casualty insurers and reinsurers. RIMS is encouraged by the House of Representatives’ inclusion of H.R. 2609 in the regulatory modernization effort, and calls upon the Senate to include this same proposal in its version.
Chapter Award Program (CAP) Application Deadline Quickly Approaching!
If your chapter goes above and beyond, now is your chance to submit an award nomination for the Chapter Award Program! Winners will be recognized at RIMS 2010 Annual Conference & Exhibition in April. CAP applications can be found at www.RIMS.org/Awards. Nominations will be accepted until 5:00 pm (EST) on Monday, January 11, 2010.
2010 PERK Program Coming Soon!
RIMS is wrapping up the details on the 2010 PERK program and we are excited to announce that we will have 18 new sessions next year. Sessions will include topics such as:
- Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid, SCHIP Extension Act of 2007
- Data Privacy & Security: Claims and Coverage
- Update on current OSHA initiatives under the Obama Administration
- Broker Compensation: Know Your Rights
Just Released! RiskCast: Episode 2
The editors of Risk Management gathered again to discuss all of the week’s interesting risk management stories. From an armored car heist in France , to the movie industry’s archaic business plan, to relentless Somali pirates, to Walmart’s risk management plan for Black Friday — it’s all here in our second installment of the entertaining and informative RiskCast.
And, remember, you can also subscribe to the RiskCast through iTunes by clicking this link or just going to the iTunes Store and searching RiskCast. Please let us know what you think by ranking us or giving us a review on iTunes.
Chapter eGroup Hot Topic: Does your Chapter have its own student mentorship program?
- The St. Louis Chapter does not have its own mentorship. We sponsor two scholarships programs, one for Missouri State and the other for Illinois State. (Kathy Brittin, St. Louis Chapter)
- We have an Educational Chair (Mitzi Dykes) that works very hard to have a robust program. We have had students at the Chapter meetings and in the past at either the Annual Conference or the FL RIMS conference. She does an outstanding job on this including working on scholarship awards. (Richard Broderick, Central Florida Chapter)
- At the New York Chapter of RIMS we are committed to education. Each year we sponsor one student to attend the annual RIMS national conference. In addition, we waive the registration to all students at our monthly breakfast meetings. In conjunction with St. John's University, the New York Chapter of RIMS will be sponsoring a "Shadow Day" for students in the School of Risk Management on February 11, 2010. Participating employers will allow a chosen student to "shadow" someone in risk management or insurance for one day to see what the typical day entails. We are looking forward to its success and many more opportunities to come. (Lori Seidenberg, New York Chapter)
To submit your response to this Chapter Officers eGroup Hot Topic please visit, www.RIMS.org/eGroups.
Where can I get chapter best practice ideas?
The Chapter Best Practice Compendium can be found at http://www.rims.org/membership/chapterofficertools/Resources/Pages/ChapterBestPractice.aspx or by visiting “Chapter Officer Tools” -> “Chapter Officer Training” -> “Chapter Best Practice Compendium” (under Reference Documents).