RIMS 3rd BIANNUAL TEXAS LEGISLATIVE CONFERENCE
On March 12th and 13th, 2013, RIMS, the risk management society™, held its 3rd Bi-Annual Legislative Conference in Austin, Texas. Members from the RIMS Central Texas Chapter (Austin), RIMS Dallas/Fort Worth Chapter, and RIMS Houston Chapter met with local legislators to discuss the most significant risk management issues affecting both the private and public sectors.
Key legislation discussed at this state-held RIMS on the Hill event included RIMS’ support for:
· HB382 (Burnam, C. Turner) In civil cases in which a settlement is funded at all by taxpayers, then no party shall be prohibited to disclose information to any other party, including media;
· SB118 (Hinojosa) / HB318 (Giddings) – makes it unlawful for an employer to request or require an employee or applicant to disclose a user name, password, or other means of accessing a personal electronic account
· SB184 (Carona) – Extends the claim-handling deadlines an additional 15 days in the event of a state of natural disaster or weather related catastrophe.
Legislation reviewed at the meetings and opposed by RIMS included:
· HB365 (Martinez) – Adds firefighter and emergency medical technician presumptions for AIDS, HIV, hepatitis B, or hepatitis C.
· HB475 (Walle) – Requires a contractor or subcontractor to provide workers’ compensation coverage to each of their employees. Contractors who use subcontractors for public protects would be required to provide written certification that the subcontractor provides workers’ compensation coverage.
To view the full legislative agenda for RIMS on the Hill: Austin, click here. For more information, contact RIMS Government Affairs Senior Manager Nathan Bacchus at nbacchus@RIMS.org.
The expanded regional RIMS on the Hill events are part of a strategic initiative to expand the scope of RIMS’ foothold in legislative and regulatory matters in addition to RISK PAC, which was created in 2011. RIMS will continue to be a watchful advocate on the national front, but will also dedicate resources to its regional RIMS on the Hill events in coming years. For more information on RIMS legislative initiatives or to reach out to a member of Congress, visit www.RIMS.org.